FAQs (click to expand)
Unbound periodicals and non-barcoded items do not circulate.
Reference books, bound periodical volumes, and other non-circulating materials may only be borrowed after obtaining special permission from the Research Help Desk or the Music Center Desk.
For more information, see the Special Permissions policy located on the Library's Circulation Policy page
- Locate the item you want in the library catalog
- Click Recall on the right side bar
- Log-in using your Ithaca College ID number and last name
- Click on the Recall icon in the list of actions
- Enter Ithaca College ID number and click on Submit
Students, faculty or staff may initiate a recall for an item at any time. Recalled books and scores will be due back on the original due date or in 3 weeks, whichever occurs first. Multimedia materials may also be recalled (DVDs, CDs) but the due date will not be adjusted due to the shorter loan periods. Items recalled by library staff to be placed on course reserve are due back in 7 days, or on the original due date, whichever occurs first.
This information can only be disclosed upon request or consent of the user. So, a student will need to grant the library permission in advance, before the library will release his/her account information.
There is also a self-serve color printer/copier on the main floor of the Library, located to the right of the Circulation Desk.
It can print PDF, JPG or TIFF formats from a flashdrive, as well as black and white, for 30 cents a copy. To print in color, follow these steps:
- Select "Media Print Text" from the Home menu
- Insert your USB flash drive. If there are a lot of files, this process may take a few minutes.
- Select from the list either a folder or a file.
- Press Save and select the paper size.
- Next, put the correct coinage in the coin box and press the green copy button.
During a typical academic year, there are approximately 2800 undergraduate and 450 graduate courses taught at IC. Using 3 texts as the average required for each course, this equals approximately 9750 books. Also, textbooks tend to be frequently updated.
In recent academic years, the Library budget has allowed for the purchase approximately 5,800 new books and ebooks to support the current research needs of all departments and programs on campus.
We do not have the funds to purchase current textbooks, while at the same time supporting student and faculty research needs.
Faculty sometimes place copies of textbooks or chapters from texts on reserve or ereserve. If you’re not sure whether your professor has put your course’s textbook on reserve, search the Reserves site to see what is available.
Please note that, as academic libraries generally do not purchase textbooks, they are not available on interlibrary loan. The IC Library does not fill Interlibrary Loan requests for textbooks in current use at the College.
The Ithaca College Bookstore provides a rental service and sells textbooks. Additional rental/purchase sites:
Amazon (also rents textbooks)
Open Access Textbooks
The Saylor Foundation has opened its Media Library to the public, providing thousands of open educational resources, videos, articles, and full-length textbooks.
By logging into your IC Library Account, you can see the due dates of items you have borrowed.
- Check, money order, or ID Express at the Circulation Desk.
- Cash may be added to your ID Express acccount using the Value Added machine, which is located to the right of the copiers on the main floor.
- Cash may be used at the Office of Student Financial Services, or the Casheiring Window located in the Campus Center; the Library can transfer fines upon your request.
- Unpaid fines/fees are automatically billed to the Office of Student Financial Services after 30 days. All charges are non-refundable after this point.
- IC Affiliate and Staff fines/fees not paid within 30 days will be sent to Financial Services for collection at which point they will be non-refundable.
There are approximately 75 desktop PCs in the Library , 21 laptops and 2 iPads that can be borrowed for 6-hour use in the Library. Laptops can be checked out at the Circulation Desk. We also check out cords to connect laptops with power outlets. The desktop PCs are located in the following areas:
- on the 3rd floor - along the north (Lake) side
- in Room 319
- in the Multimedia Listening area
- clustered around the pillars on the Main (2nd) Floor
If an item has been renewed twice and is still needed, please contact staff at either the Circulation or Multimedia Services Desk.
See the Circulation Policy for more information.
To request an article, log in to your Interlibrary Loan account and select Journal Article from the left side bar.
- Yes, for the replacement cost if items are returned within 44 days, before being billed to the Office of Student Financial Services
- Items are not refundable after being sent to the Office of Student Financial Services
- Lost or overdue items remain the property of the Ithaca College Library and must be returned if subsequently located after 44 days
Overdue fines are charged for:
*Interlibrary loan items
*Recalled and special permission items
Items not returned within fourteen days of their due dates are charged the replacement cost; hourly loan items, such as laptops, are billed one day after their due dates. The replacement cost is waived if the item is returned within thirty days. After that time, charges are sent to the Office of Student Financial Services and are non-refundable.
For more information, please see the Circulation Policy.
Retired staff may apply for an Affiliate Borrower Card.
Retirees may access library databases, where permitted by the terms of vendor contracts, using their Netpass username and password.
1. Log in to your interlibrary loan account.
2. Click on the Transaction Number
3. Click on Clone Request at the top of the page
4. Click on Submit Request at the bottom of the page
The Interlibrary loan office will notify you via e-mail when the item arrives. Please return the first item on or before the due date to avoid fines/fees.
You can also request that the Library purchase the item for its collection by filling out a Recommend a Purchase form.
Questions? Contact the Interlibrary loan Borrowing Coordinator
If you've already renewed, reply to the courtesy/overdue email and let us know the situation. We'll do our best to help you upon reviewing the situation.
Renewal limits and fines will waived in the case of a verifiable family or individual health emergency, or a required appearance in a court of law in accordance with Ithaca College's Attendance Policy.
For students : Click on this optoin to have an item retrieved from the library stacks and held for you at the Circulation/Multimedia desk; items are held for 72 hours.
For Recall : If the item is checked out, click on this option to recall it. Recalling the item makes it due back in three weeks or the original due date, whichever occurs first.
Journal articles and book chapters may be requested through Interlibrary loan; you will be sent an e-mail with a link to the PDF.
If a book from the Library's collection is needed, send e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org along with the title of the item, your name, and current address.
If a book is needed that is not in the Library's collection, please contact the Research Help Desk for assistance.
Due to licensing agreements, material in DVD or CD formats must be checked out at the Ithaca College Library. Please contact the Research Help Desk for assistance with media needs.
* Bluetooth keyboard
* Dell laptops
* External CD/DVD drive
* External microphones
* HD video camera/recorders - 7 day loan
* iPads (geneation 1 and 2)
* iPad chargers
* iPhone chargers
* Mac book
* Power strips/extension cords
* USB web cam
The Popular Reading Collection includes current novels and a collection of Playaways; spoken-word books on an MP3 player, which includes an audio cord for use in the car.