Circulation/Multimedia Student Assistant (Fall 2015)
The Circulation/Multimedia Student Assistant works at the Circulation or Multimedia Desk checking Library materials out and receiving items in from users. This position does not supervise other student assistants.
- Answer the desk phone and greet visitors
- Answer questions/explain policies pertaining to fines/fees/recalls/due dates
- Accept electronic fine payments
- Check out/in library materials, interlibrary loans, reserves, laptops and peripherals
- Deliver books to other departments on campus
- Fill public copiers with paper/toner, clear jams, as needed
- Assist patrons with scanning/copier/microfilm equipment questions
- Maintain the public printers and sort print jobs in the absence of ITS staff
- Scan documents for reserve/interlibrary loan as needed
- Respond to security-gate alarms
- Shelf reading of library materials
- Search the stacks for library materials
- Other duties as assigned
The Library is open 24/5; mornings, evenings and overnight hour shifts available.
Job Qualifications: Excellent interpersonal and customer service skills; Windows, MS Office and copier/printer experience. Library volunteer/work experience or experience at a customer service desk preferred.
Please submit a one-page statement of interest for working at the Library to the Circulation Desk, attention Bernard Hogben, Manager, Access Services. Please include your resume, two work or volunteer references, and a library application. Applications accepted until all shifts are filled.
Music Center Student Assistant (3 positions available for Fall 2015)
Customer service is a primary responsibility of this position. Students who staff the Music Center desk are trained in the advanced use of the web-based library catalog, article databases, and library procedures to be able to provide help to patrons requiring research assistance. Other varied duties include:
- Processing new sound recordings, music books, and scores
- Assisting with ordering and cataloging of music materials (working with technical module of library catalog, remote databases, and data entry)
- Shelving music books and scores; maintaining order and organization of music collection
- Working with direction and independently to maintain the quality of patron experience when using the collection or requiring help
- Working on various other projects as assigned
- Answering phones
- A friendly, approachable, service-oriented attitude is essential, as is the ability to work without direct supervision on evenings & weekends
- Music major or significant coursework in music required
- GPA of 3.0 or higher
- Excellent organizational and verbal communication skills
- Attention to detail
- Ability to work independently when required
- Experience with Microsoft Word & Excel preferred
Average 7-10 hours per week, at $8.85/hr
Students will be assigned hours during the times that the music center is open: Monday– Sunday (10am-10pm)
Candidates should submit a cover letter, proof of GPA, and application to: Kristina Shanton, Music Librarian, at the Music Center desk (3rd Floor, Gannett). Applications will be accepted until noon on Friday, April 10th. Interviews will be held through the month of April.
- If you become a fan of the Library on Facebook, you will get a super-secret, extra-early notice of jobs.