Access Services Student Assistant (Fall 2014)
Student Assistants work at the Circulation Desk charging and discharging library materials to users. This position does not supervise other student assistants.Essential duties
- Answer the Circulation Desk phone and greet visitors
- Answer questions/explain policies pertaining to fines/fees/recalls/due dates
- Accept electronic fine payments
- Check out/in Library books, interlibrary loans, reserves, laptops and peripherals
- Deliver books to other departments on campus
- Fill public copiers with paper/toner, clear jams, as needed
- Assist patrons with scanning/copier/microfilm equipment questions
- Maintain the public printers and sort print jobs in the absence of ITS staff
- Scan documents for reserve/interlibrary loan as needed
- Respond to security-gate alarms
- Shelf reading of library books
- Search the stacks for library materials
- Other duties as assigned
Job Qualifications: Excellent interpersonal and customer service skills; Windows, MS Office and copier/printer experience; must be able to work mornings/nights/weekends. Library volunteer/work experience or experience at a customer service desk preferred.
How to Apply: Please submit a one-page statement of interest for working at the Library, a resume and library application (link located to the right) to the Circulation Desk, attention Bernard Hogben, Manager, Access Services. Applications are being accepted until all positions are filled. Applicants will be notified by Friday May 2nd of the status of their application.
Music Center Student Assistant (2 positions, Fall 2014)Job duties
Customer service is a primary responsibility of this position. Students who staff the Music Center desk are trained in the advanced use of the web-based library catalog, article databases, and library procedures to be able to provide help to patrons requiring research assistance. Other varied duties include:
- Processing new sound recordings, music books, and scores
- Assisting with ordering and cataloging of music materials (working with technical module of library catalog, remote databases, and data entry)
- Shelving music books and scores; maintaining order and organization of music collection
- Working with direction and independently to maintain the quality of patron experience when using the collection or requiring help
- Working on various other projects as assigned
- Answering phones
- A friendly, approachable, service-oriented attitude is essential, as is the ability to work without direct supervision on evenings and weekends
- Music major or significant coursework in music required
- GPA of 3.0 or higher
- Excellent organizational and verbal communication skills
- Attention to detail
- Ability to work independently when required
- Experience with Microsoft Word and Excel preferred
Hours: Average 7-10 hours per week, starting at $8.00/hr. Students will be assigned hours during the times that the music center is open: Monday– Sunday (10am-10pm).
How to Apply: Candidates should submit a cover letter, proof of GPA, and application to Kristina Shanton, Music Librarian, at the Music Center desk (3rd Floor, Gannett). Applications will be accepted until Friday, April 11th. Interviews will be held through the month of April.
- If you become a fan of the Library on Facebook, you will get a super-secret, extra-early notice of jobs.
Staff & Librarian Jobs
There are no staff or librarian jobs available at this time.